Software Model: AutoCAD & 3ds max; Texturing & rendering: 3ds max plus V-Ray Advanced; Post Processing: Photoshop
Modeling: The entire building was modeled in AutoCAD, except the spiders, text on the glass, ivy and long grass.
The spiders and text on the glass were both modeled in 3ds max using common commands. For the long grass I used 3ds max fur based hair on a common plane applying soft selection and some noise. The Ivy was made with the Gwivi plugin form guruware (Free 3D Max Models).
Textures: Most materials are V-Ray materials but in some cases I used a V-Ray blend material like for the oxide on the walls or the floor with the flower drawing. This allowed me to handle different reflection types for different wall or floor components. Light objects are planes with a V-Ray light material assigned, with high multiplers. The glass was made with white refraction, 40% reflection, and some light green fog (0,1), and a noise map on bump to distort reflections. - All materials have reflections, from minimal reflections on walls (fresnel 10% with 0,5 glossiness) to steel parts (with 90% and 0,95 glossiness) On floor tiles, I used three multi sub object material in order to give three different looks with randomized color difference (RGB levels) and randomized coordinates to avoid the tiling. p4-camera There is a V-Ray physical camera with color balance adjusted to provide some light cyan color. The shutter speed is set to 5 and f-stop to 4. It is also a vertical shift correction without vignette, I prefer do it in Photoshop later.
Lights Illumination of the scene is solved with: Environment: V-Ray sky (very strong) and a direct light (sun, with multiplier of 4, warm orange color) in front of the camera. V-Ray lights on each light emitter (Approx. 30 lights, most with a yellow color with the exception of the lights on the first floor which are a more orange. All lights are set with affect diffuse and specular, and invisible, because the light emitters already have a V-Ray light material.
Rendering Settings The render was done using the V-Ray plugin using an irradiance map with medium quality for global illumination. The light cache was set to 1200 for primary and secondary bounces.
The final render was 3000 pixels which was more than enough. The antialiasing filter was Michel Netravali (good sharpen and lower noise) with adaptative QMC, set to min 3 max 10. The subdivisions threshold was set to 0,005. Color mapping was set linear, at 1,1,1.5 gamma to get more illumination in thegrey areas.
I realize this is not a linear workflow, but this gives me the best resolution in the situation.
For More 3D Articles www.spiderarticles.com